Chocolate Fudge Cake
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1⅓ cups water
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 or 3 Tbsp. light cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans (9").
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and granulated sugar until light. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. In another bowl, stir together the cocoa, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the water. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn out onto racks and cool completely.
- While the cake cools, make the frosting: In a bowl, cream the butter until light. Gradually stir in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, then the melted chocolate, and then the rest of the sugar as needed. Stir in the vanilla, salt, and enough cream to create a good frosting consistency. Blend well.
- Stack and frost the layers as desired.