Chocolate Fudge Cake
A chocolate layer cake is always sure to be a hit.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. plus 1⁄8 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp. light cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans (9 inches).
- In a large bowl, cream together 1⁄2 cup butter, shortening, and granulated sugar until light. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well. In another bowl, stir together cocoa, flour, baking soda, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the water. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn out onto racks and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream 1⁄4 cup butter until light. Gradually stir in confectioners’ sugar and melted chocolate. Stir in 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, and cream. Blend well.
- Stack and frost the layers as desired.