Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
More cake than cookie, these frozen snacks are a summertime staple. While not necessary, these chocolatey cookies can be baked in a specialty pan to give them the dimpled texture that store-bought ice cream sandwiches have.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 5 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 4 cups softened vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on the short sides.
- In a medium bowl or bowl of stand mixer, whisk butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add in egg and continue to whisk. Finally, whisk in flour, cocoa powder, and salt until well combined.
- Spread batter onto the prepared baking sheet until even. Bake for 10 minutes, until set.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cooled, remove the cake and parchment using the overhang. Cut the cake into two halves. Spread the softened ice cream over one half and top with the other cake half. Return the prepared dessert to the baking pan, wrap it tightly in plastic, and place in the freezer for 5 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, remove from freezer and cut into 8 rectangles using a serrated knife. Serve immediately or wrap in squares of parchment paper and return to freezer.