Chocolate Mint Checkerboards
For a Christmas cookie tray, you can divide the mint-flavored dough in half and color part of it green and the other part pink with the food coloring.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1⁄2 tsp. mint flavoring
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Sift dry ingredients together; blend alternately with milk in creamed mixture.
- Separate dough in 1⁄2. Add chocolate to 1⁄2; mix thoroughly. Add green food color and mint flavor to other 1⁄2; mix thoroughly.
- Roll chocolate dough into ropes about 1⁄2 inch in diameter. Repeat with mint dough. On a piece of wax paper, place 1 rope of chocolate next to 1 rope of mint. Top with 1 rope of mint next to 1 rope of chocolate, alternating dough to create a checkerboard. Press gently into a square shape; roll in wax paper. Chill overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets. Slice cookies thinly; arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.