Chocolate Mint Checkerboards
For a Christmas cookie tray, you can divide the mint-flavored dough in half and color part of it green and the other part pink with the food coloring.
Makes: 48 cookiesHands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 48 cookies
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbsp. whole milk
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 3 drops green food coloring
- ½ tsp. mint flavoring
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Sift dry ingredients together; blend alternately with milk in creamed mixture.
- Separate dough in ½. Add chocolate to ½; mix thoroughly. Add green food color and mint flavor to other ½; mix thoroughly.
- Roll chocolate dough into ropes about ½" in diameter. Repeat with mint dough. On a piece of wax paper, place 1 rope of chocolate next to 1 rope of mint. Top with 1 rope of mint next to 1 rope of chocolate, alternating dough to create a checkerboard. Press gently into a square shape; roll in wax paper. Chill overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets. Slice cookies thinly; arrange 2" apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 8–10 minutes. Cool.