Chocolate Mint Swirl Cheesecake with Chocolate Nut Crust
This is incredibly rich and delicious. It is definitely a special-occasion cake with layers of deep flavor. Cut into very small pieces, as it’s very, very rich.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups ground walnuts
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. chestnut flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. peppermint schnapps
- Mix the first four ingredients together. Spray a 9" springform pan with nonstick spray and press the walnut mixture into the bottom to make a crust. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla, chestnut flour, and salt in a large bowl. Melt 4 ounces semisweet chocolate with the schnapps.
- With the motor running, add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating vigorously. Fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Pour into the springform pan and, using a knife, swirl the chocolate mixture into the cheesecake. Bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, and with the door cracked, let the cake cool for another hour. Chill before serving.