Chocolate Mint Thumbprints
Mint chocolate is one of our favorite flavors of the holiday season, so consider these soft green cookies a tasty tribute.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups Gold Medal™ All Purpose Flour
- 3⁄4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 16 drops green food color
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 18 thin rectangular crème de menthe chocolate candies, unwrapped, cut in half diagonally
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper.
- In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in peppermint extract, egg yolks and food color until blended. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Using end of handle of wooden spoon, press a deep well into center of each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Reshape wells with end of handle of wooden spoon. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In medium microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, cream and 3 Tbsp. butter on High 1 minute, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Fill each well with about 1 tsp. chocolate mixture; garnish with candy piece. Let stand about 1 hour until chocolate is set.