Chocolate-Mint Whoopie Pies
These sell very well at holiday bake sales. Just wrap the cookies individually in cellophane and tie a ribbon around the top.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. mint extract
- 2 3⁄4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 cups marshmallow creme
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup hot coffee
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and mint extract until creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time. Mix in marshmallow creme and food coloring. Beat until filling is light and fluffy. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Combine coffee and buttermilk; set aside. Beat granulated sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla; blend well. Starting with the flour mixture, add flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately. End with flour.
- Drop by generous, rounded tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets. Flatten slightly with wet fingertips. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies spring back when touched lightly. Cool completely.
- Place a spoonful of mint mixture on flat side of one cookie and top with another, flat side toward filling.