Top this luxurious classic with sweetened whipped cream, a strawberry, raspberries, mint leaves, or chocolate shavings. For a fancier presentation, put the chilled mousse in a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe it into martini glasses. Substitute white chocolate for the semisweet, and you will have White Chocolate Mousse.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutes
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Melt the chocolate in a metal or glass bowl set over simmering (not boiling) water. When chocolate is melted, remove the bowl from heat and set aside.
- Whip the room-temperature egg whites to stiff peaks with a wire whisk or electric mixer; set aside.
- Crack the whole eggs into the egg yolks; beat well to combine. Stir the yolk mixture into the melted chocolate.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate/yolk mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Whip the heavy cream in a chilled bowl. Whisk half of the whipped cream into the chocolate/egg mixture to lighten it. Then, gently fold the remaining whipped cream in, just to incorporate. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.