Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
This is kid food all grown up! These make-ahead treats add a fun, finishing touch to summer’s light dinner fare or a refreshing end to winter’s heartiest suppers.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1⁄2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. unrefined coconut oil, liquefied
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, grind rolled oats. Wipe out the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground oats, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cacao powder and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend peanut butter, oil and maple syrup. Add oat mixture to the peanut butter mixture in the food processor.
- With moist hands, form rounded tablespoons of the mixture and place on prepared baking sheet (several inches apart, as cookies will spread).
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are fully set. Press very gently on the centers with a spatula, only a light imprint should appear when cookies are done. Cool completely on sheet before transferring.
- Once cookies are completely cool, place a generous scoop of ice cream on top of each of four cookies. Top each with another cookie and press gently between sheets of waxed paper till sandwiches form.
- Wrap and freeze sandwiches 8 to 12 hours or overnight.