Chocolate-Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
If you love peanut butter, this is the perfect choice for an afternoon snack. For an even more amazing cookie, glaze the top with your favorite chocolate icing.
Serves: 9Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Place peanut butter and butter in bowl of a mixer. Beat at high speed until well blended and fluffy. Add 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and confectioners’ sugar; beat well. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt together; set aside. Cream, shortening and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add alternately with buttermilk, to creamed mixture. Begin and end with dry ingredients.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Place a spoonful of mixture on flat side of one cookie and top with another, flat side toward filling.