This is a fresh take on the classic darling of the French bistro. If you’d like to lighten it up, substitute half-and-half for the heavy cream.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 squares semisweet chocolate
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped stiff with 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Combine the chocolate, rum, and sugar in a heavy saucepan or the top of a double boiler. Mix the coffee powder with boiling water and add to the chocolate mixture. Cook over very low heat, stirring from time to time, until the chocolate melts. Remove from the heat and cool for 3 minutes.
- Slowly beat in the egg yolks, one at a time. Let cool.
- In a bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in the egg whites. Spoon into a serving bowl or dessert glasses. Chill for 4 hours. Serve with whipped cream.