Crumbly, rich shortbread makes a perfect foil for custards and frozen desserts.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 3 Tbsp. white or Turbinado sugar
- With a hand-held mixer, cream together butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk together salt and flour, stirring to break up any lumps in the mixture. Slowly stir flour into the butter and sugar. Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate and mix until blended.
- Roll mixture into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread mixture onto waxed paper and cut into 2 dozen large cookies, using a heart or circle-shaped cookie cutter. Sprinkle each cookie with sugar and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 300°F for 15 to 20 minutes.