Chocolate and Toasted Coconut Cookies
Adding coconut to a more traditional chocolate chip cookie makes it everything you need for the holiday season. Santa would love these on a plate with milk!
Makes: 30Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 12 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 9 oz. chopped milk chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt or fleur de sel
- In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Swirl the pan occasionally as the butter turns from light yellow to tan to golden brown. As soon as the butter turns brown, remove from heat and pour into a large heatproof bowl. Cool 5 minutes.
- Add dark brown sugar, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar to the butter and mix well. Add the eggs and vanilla to the batter and mix thoroughly. Combine flour and baking soda in a separate bowl, then add to batter, beating only until combined.
- Add chocolate and coconut to batter, then place mixing bowl in refrigerator for 15 minutes to chill. Preheat oven to 325°F while dough chills. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place balls of dough on prepared cookie sheets, leaving tops quite jagged so that cookies get nice surfaces. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 15 minutes or until just golden brown.