Chocolate Town Cake
This recipe gets its name from a famous chocolate company's use of it to promote their amusement park. The addition of cinnamon gives it an exotic flavor.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups plus 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two round cake pans (9 inches).
- In a small bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup cocoa and boiling water to form a paste; add the cinnamon to the paste. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and eggs. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Add the flour mixture to the shortening mixture alternately with 1 1⁄3 cup buttermilk. Blend in the cocoa mixture. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on racks.
- Meanwhile, put butter, 2 tablespoons cocoa, and 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add confectioners' sugar, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, mixing well. Frost cake.