Who says waffles are just for breakfast? Serve these for dessert with a scoop of ice cream and a ladle of hot fudge.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup grated bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Triple-sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks, melted butter, milk, and vanilla. Whisk together thoroughly.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites until they are stiff.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the flour and stir together briefly. Lumps are okay. Add the grated chocolate and stiffened egg whites and fold together gently until they are just combined. Cook batter in a waffle iron, following the manufacturer’s instructions. Serve immediately.