Chocolate Walnut Tart
Bittersweet chocolate and smoky bourbon give this tart a rustic sophistication.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- For the tart dough: cream together the sugar and butter until just combined. Add in the egg yolk and vanilla and mix well. Add in the flour and mix until the dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator for 10 minutes to warm up. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a ⅛" thick, 12" circle, turning the dough often. Dust the surface with additional flour if needed. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it into a 10" tart pan, pressing the dough into the pan. Press your fingers against the rim of the pan to trim the dough.
- Line the tart with a double layer of aluminum foil and add pie weights or dry beans. Roll aluminum foil around edges of tart dough to keep from burning. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, light brown sugar, cornstarch, and eggs until smooth. Add the corn syrup, bourbon, and vanilla and mix well.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate or 1 minute on 50 percent power. Stir and continue to heat at 30-second intervals until completely melted and smooth. Mix in walnuts, pour into the butter mixture and mix well. Tip into the cooled crust.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the filling is set. Cool to room temperature before serving.