Chocolate-Walnut Vegan Brownies
Make these for the times when only a dense, chewy, and chocolaty brownie will do! These brownies are great with vegan ice cream, hot fudge, and vegan whipped topping for a decadent brownie sundae.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 6 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix 1⁄4 cup flour with water in a small saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until it has a thick, paste-like consistency. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Whisk the remaining flour and baking powder together and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt margarine over low heat and stir in cocoa powder.
- With a wooden spoon, beat sugar, salt, and vanilla extract into the cooked flour mixture. Add this to the melted margarine and cocoa, and mix well. Then stir in the dry flour mixture. Fold in walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly in a lightly greased 8-inch square pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.