Chocolate–Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Serves: 14Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 11 Tbsp. peanut butter, divided
- 1⅛ tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 3 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. vegan margarine, softened, divided
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup plus 2 Tbsp. soy creamer, divided
- ⅛ tsp. vanilla extract
- 4¾ oz. vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until ¾ full.
- Bake 20–22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting, beat shortening, 2 tablespoons vegan margarine, and remaining ½ cup peanut butter in a large bowl until blended. Beat in ¾ cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of soy creamer, and remaining ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar, adding additional powdered sugar or soy creamer until desired consistency is achieved.
- To make ganache, place remaining ⅓ cup soy creamer and remaining 5 teaspoons vegan margarine in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and heat until the margarine melts. Add the vegan chocolate chips and continue to heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth.
- Frost cupcakes the frosting and drizzle with the chocolate ganache.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.