Remove the brownies from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the middle still has a few moist crumbs on it. Cooking any longer will cause the brownies to dry out.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 squares (4 oz.) semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, stir the salt, baking powder, and cinnamon into the flour until well blended.
- Break up the chocolate into pieces. Fill a heavy metal saucepan with water and heat on medium-low until barely simmering. Place the butter in a metal bowl on top of the saucepan. Turn the heat down to low and add the chocolate to the butter. Melt the chocolate, stirring constantly and being careful not to let the chocolate boil.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the eggs. Add the vanilla extract. Stir in the sugar. Blend in the flour mixture. Stir in the pecans.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out nearly clean. Let cool and cut into 16 bars.