Chopped Salad with Alaska Seafood “Croutons”
Fresh greens tossed with tomato, avocado, bacon and blue cheese in a Sweet ‘n Spicy Balsamic Dressing, topped with golden seafood nuggets.
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 ounce mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 pounds iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 3 pounds mesclun or baby lettuces
- 4 pounds (8 oz.) Alaska popcorn fish pieces, frozen
- 4 pounds (8 oz.) tomatoes, diced ½ inch
- 2 pounds (4 oz.) avocados, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups green onions, chopped
- 4 cups bacon, chopped, cooked crisp
- 1 pound (2 oz.) blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups red onions, sliced thin
- To make Sweet ‘n Spicy Balsamic Dressing, place the red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, Parmesan, sugar, salt, mustard powder, black pepper and water into blender; blend thoroughly. With motor running, slowly add olive oil and canola oil to emulsify. Thin with water, if needed. (Dressing should be thick.)
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before using. Makes about 6 cups.
- In bowl, toss iceberg lettuce and mesclun to mix. Cover and refrigerate.
- For each serving, deep-fry about 3 oz. fish until cooked through; drain.
- In bowl, toss 6 oz. lettuce and mesclun mix, 3 oz. tomatoes, 1 ½ oz. avocados, 1 Tbsp. green onions and a generous 3 Tbsp. Sweet ‘n Spicy Balsamic Dressing to coat. Plate. Sprinkle top with 3 Tbsp. bacon, ¾ oz. blue cheese and ½ oz. red onions. Top with fish pieces.