Choritos a la Chalaca (Mussels Callao-Style)
Tasty and refreshing, these mussels are very easy to make if you have the ingredients on hand. The only cooking involved is the steaming of the mussels, and even that step takes only a few minutes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 mussels
- ½ cup white wine
- ⅓ cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ½ cup corn, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. chopped rocoto pepper (or any other chili pepper)
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley leaves
- Clean and scrub the mussels, removing any beards attached to the shells. Put mussels in a medium saucepan with the wine, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Steam for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard any mussels that did not open and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine onion, tomato, corn, rocoto pepper, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and parsley leaves.
- Cover each mussel with a tablespoon of the salsa, and with some of the cooking juices. Serve immediately.