Chorizo in Wine
Fruity red wine makes an interesting pairing with spicy chorizo sausage in this popular Spanish appetizer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. chorizo sausage
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 shallots
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ⅓ cup dry red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2" cinnamon stick
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ loaf French or Italian bread, cut into cubes
- Remove the chorizo sausage from its casing and cut on the diagonal into ¼" slices. Peel and chop the garlic cloves and shallots.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook gently over medium heat until browned (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and shallots. Stir in the paprika. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, until the chorizo is crisp.
- Add the red wine and bring to a boil. Add the bay leaf and the cinnamon stick. Stir in the lemon juice and ground nutmeg. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the wine has been absorbed (about 15 minutes). Remove the chorizo from the saucepan.
- Cut the bread into squares. Fasten each slice of chorizo to a piece of bread with a toothpick. Serve immediately.