Some people like to make little snowballs while others shape these like little yule logs. They are a tradition nearly everywhere in the United States.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place confectioners’ sugar in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together granulated sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and nutmeg. Beat in the flour 1⁄2 cup at a time. Stir in the walnuts until well mixed.
- Using 1 tablespoon of batter at a time, form into balls. Place the balls 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in batches until golden and set, about 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle but still warm, roll each ball in confectioners’ sugar.