Christmas Theme Sugar Cookies
These cookies are a traditional Christmas favorite.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tube (7 oz.) decorating cookie icing
- 1⁄4 cup red and green sugar crystals
- 1⁄4 cup colored sprinkles
- 1⁄4 cup small silver ball candies
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg, extract, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add in the flour. Mix well.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough by hand and shape into a large ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 2 hours until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1⁄4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with Christmas theme cookie cutters. Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Decorate the cookies with icing, sugar crystals, sprinkles, and ball candies.