Chuchitos de Pollo (Mini Chicken Tamales in Corn Husks)
Chuchitos are a popular Guatemalan street food, wrapped and steamed in corn husks. This tasty version pairs chicken with homemade sauce and crumbled cheese.
Serves: 8Prep: 35 minutesCook: 1 hour 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup instant corn masa flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 cups plus ½ cup Simple Truth Organic™ Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
- 1 (8 oz.) Queso Del Valle Queso Fresco, crumbled and divided
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup tomatillos, husked and quartered
- 2 guajillo chile, seeded
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic or 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 8 dried corn husks, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 16 ties made from additional soaked corn husks, torn by hand into ½” wide strips
- In mixer bowl with paddle attachment, beat together flour, baking powder, salt and 1¼ cups stock for about 1 minute. Add shortening and half of the cheese; fluff dough for 3 minutes at medium speed. Alternatively, put dough ingredients in deep bowl and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon 3 to 5 minutes.
- In medium saucepan, combine tomatoes, tomatillos, guajillos, bell pepper, onion, garlic and remaining chicken stock. Cover and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- In blender, purée mix to fine consistency. Transfer sauce back to saucepan. On low heat, simmer uncovered 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be bright orange and have the consistency of tomato sauce.
- On each corn husk, place an equal amount of dough. Using a small spoon, push in the center of the dough to make an indentation; top with 1 tablespoon chicken and 1 tablespoon of sauce.
- Wrap husks so edges overlap and dough is completely enclosed. Lay the tamale flat. Beginning at the pointed side, press gently with your fingers to force dough toward the center of husk. Tie at both ends.
- In deep pot, add water. In steamer basket, place tamales horizontally. Place basket in pot; bring the water to boil. Cover, adjust temperature to medium low and steam tamales until they are cooked, about 1 hour.
- To serve, peel tamales open and top with the remaining sauce and cheese.