Chunky Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
Fresh basil adds a different flavor than dried basil to dishes, and the fresh variety is more complementary to this soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1⁄4 cup sliced fresh basil
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter, then sauté the onion and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes.
- To a 4-quart slow cooker, add the onion and garlic, tomatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat 4 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly, then remove the bay leaf. Process half of the soup in a blender then return to slow cooker.
- Add the soy milk and chopped basil, and heat on low for an additional 30 minutes.