This light, fried cookie originally came from Spain, but is now linked with Mexican cuisine. Dip them in chocolate for the perfect ending to a long day.
Makes: 24 cookiesHands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 24 cookies
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2½ cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375°F.
- Bring water, salt, and brown sugar to a boil, stirring until all crystals are completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Add flour and baking powder; beat until mixture is smooth. Beat in egg yolks one at a time until mixture gets smooth and glossy. Cool.
- Put cookie dough in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe dough into fryer in 4" lengths, frying only 4–5 at a time. Use a wet knife to cut lengths of dough. Fry until golden; drain and dust with powdered sugar.