Cigarettes Russes (Wafer Rolls)
These wafer rolls are great with tea, or a nice bowl of ice cream.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. almond flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over very low heat. As soon as it is melted, take off the heat and reserve. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites (you can use a fork, they don’t have to be very firm). Add the sugar, whisking continuously, then slowly add the flour and the almond flour. Add the salt, whisk until well combined, add the melted butter. Stop whisking when the mixture is combined.
- Put a parchment paper sheet on a baking sheet. Fill a pastry bag with the mixture, and make very thin 2-inch rounds (you can also drop the batter onto the sheet using a teaspoon). Space them well, about 1⁄2 inch apart from each other. Bake for 8 minutes. When they start getting golden, take them out of the oven. Remove each disc from the parchment paper and roll each disc around a pencil, then slide off the pencil extremely quickly and lay on another plate.
- Let them cool down and put them in an airtight container.