Cilantro Green Rice
Green rice is full of flavor, is a beautiful color, and is a wonderful side dish to serve with simple grilled meats.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- In heavy skillet, cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until transparent. Stir in rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until rice is opaque. Add broth and water, bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine spinach, cilantro, serrano pepper, olive oil, salt, and glack pepper in mortar and pestle or in food processor. Pound or process until mixture is smooth.
- When rice is cooked, fluff with fork, then stir in spinach mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot, about 2 to 3 minutes.