Cilantro Green Rice
Green rice is full of flavor, is a beautiful color, and is a wonderful side dish to serve with simple grilled meats.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 small serrano pepper, seeded
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- In heavy skillet, cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until transparent. Stir in rice and cook for 2–3 minutes until rice is opaque. Add broth and water, bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine spinach, cilantro, serrano pepper, olive oil, salt, and glack pepper in mortar and pestle or in food processor. Pound or process until mixture is smooth.
- When rice is cooked, fluff with fork, then stir in spinach mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot, about 2–3 minutes.