Cinnamon Apple Muffins
Granny Smith apples are great for baking and cooking, but you can substitute any other cooking apple. Feel free to combine some whole wheat flour with your regular flour or if you prefer, totally substitute with wheat flour!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 12 paper liners in muffin tin. Peel, core, and dice apples. Set aside.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Using a separate bowl, gently toss diced apples in 1⁄2 cup of the flour mixture until well coated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, vanilla, butter, and egg. Fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture until just moistened. Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.