Cinnamon Apple Ring Fritters
Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1¾ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup whole milk
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut crosswise into rings ¼" thick
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Sift together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and the salt into a large bowl. In another bowl, beat together the egg yolks and milk. In yet another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing until smooth. Fold the egg whites into mixture.
- In a deep-fat fryer or deep skillet, heat oil to 360°F. Meanwhile, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons granulated sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow dish. Coat the apple slices with the cinnamon sugar and then dip into the batter, coating thoroughly. Slip the apple rings into the hot oil a few at a time, and fry for 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not crowd the pan.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Arrange on a warmed platter and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Serve hot.