Cinnamon Crumb Cake
A simple crumb coating made with flour, butter, brown sugar, and nuts is a great way to add flavor and texture to coffee cake.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ medium ripe banana, peeled
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups low-fat French vanilla yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8" × 8" cake pan.
- Place 1 cup flour in a medium mixing bowl. Cut the butter into the bowl, then use your fingers to combine the flour and butter until it has a crumb-like texture. Add the brown sugar, again using your fingers to mix it in. Stir in walnuts. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana with a potato masher. Whisk in the vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and the vanilla yogurt alternately to the banana mixture. Stir until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the crumb coating over the top of the cake before placing it in the oven. Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.