Cinnamon Peach Coffee Cake
Save to My Recipes
This breakfast bread is a bread only in the loosest sense of the word. But with fresh peaches and the tang of buttermilk, who cares what it’s called!
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) butter, 2 softened, 1 kept cold
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3½ cups cake flour
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1½ cups diced fresh peaches
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9" round (2" deep) cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut a circle of parchment to fit in the bottom, then coat the top of the parchment with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl beat softened butter with sugar until smooth and lump-free. Add eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Sift together cake flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Add to batter alternately with buttermilk. Pour into prepared pan and top with peaches.
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, brown sugar, almonds, and remaining cinnamon. Mix well, then cut in cold butter, using fingertips or a pastry blender, until chunks are pea-sized. The streusel is ready when it holds together when squeezed, but easily crumbles apart. Be careful not to over mix.
- Generously crumble streusel over the peaches, then bake until risen and firm, about 30–40 minutes. Cool before removing from pan.