Cinnamon-and-Sugar Cake Doughnuts
Make a rich nutmeg-spiced batter, roll it out, and cut with a doughnut cutter. Fry doughnuts and doughnut holes and dip into cinnamon and sugar.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- In a shallow bowl, mix together 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar with cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until airy. Gradually add the remaining 3⁄4 granulated sugar and brown sugar beating until light and fluffy. Add buttermilk, vanilla, and melted butter and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine 3 cups flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg. Stir into bowl with wet ingredients. Add more flour as needed to make a soft dough.
- On floured surface, roll out dough to 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut with doughnut cutters.
- In large skillet, heat oil to 375°F. Carefully add four doughnuts; fry on both sides, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes for each side. Repeat with remaining dough. Fry doughnut holes for 2 minutes on each side.
- Dredge both sides of hot doughnuts into cinnamon and sugar mixture.