Cinnamon and Sugar Cookies
Any nuts can be substituted for the almonds, or you can leave them out altogether.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 8 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- Whisk flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and salt together; set aside.
- Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Stir in flour mixture; blend well. Fold in almonds.
- Divide dough in fourths and shape each portion into a log 2 inches in diameter. Mix remaining cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl; spread over a piece of wax paper. Roll log of dough over sugar mixture, covering sides completely. Wrap tightly in wax paper; chill overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Slice cookies 3⁄4 inch thick; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake about 8 minutes, or until golden. Cool.