This recipe yields a dozen delicious cinnamon-sugar doughnuts. Skip the last step in the recipe to serve them plain. Doughnuts are also great glazed, frosted, or dusted with powdered sugar.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. sodium-free baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a doughnut pan with oil and set aside.
- Measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the milk, vanilla, and egg whites and beat well.
- Spoon batter into doughnut pan, filling about ⅔ full. Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and let rest a few minutes before gently removing doughnuts from pan.
- Measure the sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl and mix to combine. Dip doughnuts quickly in melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Serve immediately or place on wire rack to cool.