Cinnamon-Sugar Rhubarb Muffins
Rhubarb is one of the first fruits or vegetables to appear in the spring. It is a great source of vitamin C and dietary fiber.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine rhubarb, ¼ cup sugar, and orange zest; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, brown sugar, and all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add rhubarb mixture, eggs, buttermilk, orange juice, vanilla, and melted butter. Mix just until combined.
- Fill prepared muffin cups ¾ full.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle over each muffin.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and firm. Remove from muffin tin and cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.