Cinnamon Swirl Bread
This bread creates a welcoming smell in the morning when warmed gently in the toaster.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 6 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 1 Tbsp. water, divided
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 3⁄4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1⁄3 cup cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1⁄2 cups water, 2 tablespoons honey, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 eggs, oil, salt, and enough bread flour to create a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes. Add flour only to reduce stickiness. Return to bowl, dust the top lightly with flour, and cover with plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 3 hours. Punch dough down, fold in half, and rise again, until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 loaf pans (9 by 5 inches) with pan spray and line with a strip of parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface, and with a rolling pin, roll into an 18-by-24-inch rectangle. Warm remaining honey and brush over the entire surface of dough. Combine cinnamon and sugar, and sprinkle on top of honey. Starting on a long edge, roll the dough up into a log.
- Cut the log into 2 loaves (9 inches). Place each loaf in a pan, seam-side down, dust with flour, cover with plastic wrap, and rise for 30 minutes. Combine remaining egg with a tablespoon of water and brush over the surface of the breads. Bake until golden brown and firm, about 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before slicing.