Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread
Toast this bread for breakfast for a healthy start to a long workday or spread blue cheese and drizzle honey on toast points with poached pears. The whole-wheat flour gives you both protein and fiber, and the raisins add flavor and fiber.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (¼ oz.) yeast
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⅓ cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp. soft butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 Tbsp. cinnamon
- Combine yeast, ½ teaspoon sugar, and ⅓ cup water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine remaining water, butter, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder. Mix in the all-purpose flour and then the yeast mixture with an electric mixer. Add the whole-wheat flour and raisins. Knead with dough hook for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, then roll into a rectangle. Sprinkle the cinnamon over the dough, roll it into a cylinder, and place in an oiled loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover bread and bake for 40 minutes.