Sherbet can be made with any fruit, as long as you have the right ratio of liquid, egg whites, and sugar.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium Valencia oranges
- 2 large ruby red grapefruits
- 1 medium lime
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Juice the oranges, grapefruits, and lime, then measure out 3 cups of unfiltered juice and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook to 238°F (soft ball on a candy thermometer).
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until stiff. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the bowl with the egg whites, continuing to beat at high speed until the mixture is stiff and glossy (approximately 5 minutes).
- Stir in the juices, then pour into a shallow pan. Freeze until almost firm, about 2 hours, then return to the bowl. Beat again until blended. Return to the container and freeze 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer, allowing 15 minutes before serving.