Clafoutis aux Framboises (Raspberry Clafoutis)
Clafoutis is a favorite of summer desserts in France. This fruit and custard cake is typical of the Limousin area, and is very easy to make. A great recipe to bake with kids!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 6 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Slice the top outer layer of the vanilla pod in half lengthwise. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and the vanilla pod to a boil over medium heat. As soon as the milk boils, stop the heat.
- Put ½ cup butter in the saucepan. Take the vanilla pod out, use a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds inside, and put them back in the saucepan. Cover and let the vanilla infuse the milk.
- In a large bowl, break the eggs and whisk them steadily with ½ cup sugar, until they whiten. Add the flour, and whisk steadily. Slowly add the milk as you whisk continuously.
- Butter a medium baking dish (about 9") with 1 tablespoon butter. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar at the bottom, and tilt the dish so as to distribute sugar everywhere. Lay the raspberries at the bottom of the dish. Pour in the custard.
- Put in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve lukewarm or cold.