These savory appetizers will be a big hit at your next party. The recipe is easily doubled or tripled if you’re cooking for a crowd.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (6.5 oz.) chopped clams
- 12 fresh mushrooms
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1⁄8 tsp. garlic salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 tsp. oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. grated Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tsp. minced thyme
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a small baking dish.
- Reserve 1⁄4 cup of clam juice for the stuffing and discard the rest. Finely mince the clams. Gently wash the mushrooms, pat dry, and remove the stems.
- In a bowl, combine the clams, onions, garlic salt, minced garlic, butter, and oregano and mix well. Add the breadcrumbs, egg, and clam juice and mix well. Add Romano cheese and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Stuff each mushroom with about 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of the stuffing mixture. Place the stuffed mushrooms in the baking dish and pour 1⁄4 cup melted butter over the top. Cover and bake in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the cover and sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese and pine nuts on top and put back in the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt slightly (about 3 to 5 minutes). Garnish with fresh thyme.