Clams in Black Bean Sauce
Many foods have symbolism for the Chinese. Clams represent prosperity.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 lb. littleneck clams
- 3 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 4 scallions, cut into ½" slices
- 1½ Tbsp. fermented black beans, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Xiaoshing wine
- ½ cup water or stock
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- Scrub the clamshells thoroughly and make sure they are tightly closed, to ensure freshness.
- Preheat a wok over medium-high heat and swirl in the oil. Add the garlic, ginger, and scallions. Stir-fry 30 seconds. Add the black beans and stir to mix.
- Add the clams, stirring constantly. Toss for about 1 minute, and then add the wine, stock or water, and soy sauce. Continue stirring. The clams should begin to open after about 3 minutes of cooking. Lower the heat to medium and cook until the liquid is reduced to half, another 3–4 minutes.