Classic Caesar Salad with Gluten-Free Croutons
Caesar salad was originally created in 1924 by Caesar Cardini, an Italian restaurateur in Tijuana, Mexico. The salad is named after its creator—a chef—not Julius Caesar of the Roman Empire.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. gluten-free English mustard
- 1" anchovy paste or 2 canned anchovies, packed in oil, mashed
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups gluten-free croutons
- Whisk together the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, anchovy paste, and olive oil in a large bowl until very smooth. Add salt and pepper. Add the lettuce and toss.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and croutons, and serve.