Classic Cornbread Sausage Stuffing
This southern-style classic combines sausage, celery, onion and cornbread for a truly irresistible stuffing.
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (8.5 oz. each) corn muffin mix*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces reduced fat pork sausage or thinly sliced smoked turkey sausage
- 3 cups College Inn® Chicken or Turkey Broth, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions for a double recipe, using broth in place of liquid. Let cool 30 minutes. Coarsely crumble in large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 11”x7” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook sausage until browned, stirring frequently; remove sausage and set aside.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add ½ cup broth, celery, onion and sage to sausage drippings. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Let cook 10 to 12 minutes or until celery is tender. Stir in black pepper; remove from heat.
- Stir sausage and celery mixture into cornbread. Add egg and remaining broth. Gently stir until just moistened. (For moister stuffing, add 1 additional cup broth.)
- Spoon into prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until golden brown. Refrigerate any leftovers.