Classic Fried Pork Egg Rolls
A prepackaged vegetable mix takes the work out of shredding cabbage and carrots in this recipe.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 lb. lean pork, julienned
- 1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- 3 Tbsp. water, divided
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 3 1⁄2 Tbsp. peanut oil, divided
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, divided
- 1 tsp. minced ginger, divided
- 2 cups prepackaged shredded cabbage and carrot mix
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 2 medium green onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep-fryer, wok, or heavy deep-sided skillet and heat to 375°F.
- Place pork in a bowl and add dark soy sauce, rice wine, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons water with the oyster sauce. In a separate small bowl, combine the remainder of the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water to make a paste.
- Heat a wok or medium skillet over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking. Add 2 tablespoons peanut oil. When oil is hot, add half the garlic and half the ginger. Stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add pork. Stir-fry until pork is no longer pink and is nearly cooked. Remove and drain in a colander or on paper towels.
- Heat 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil in the wok or skillet. When oil is hot, add the remainder of the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add shredded cabbage mixture. Stir-fry, sprinkling with the salt and sugar, for 2 minutes. Stir in the mung bean sprouts and stir-fry briefly (30 seconds–1 minute). Add 1 tablespoon water if the vegetables begin to dry out during stir-frying.
- Add oyster sauce mixture. Put pork back into the pan. Stir in green onions. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 more minutes to blend all ingredients. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Allow the filling to cool.
- To make the egg rolls, take an egg roll wrapper and lay it out in front of you. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle of the wrapper. Dip your finger in the cornstarch paste and trace the edges of the wrapper. Lift the bottom of the wrapper up and over the filling, fold the left and right sides over, and roll up the egg roll. Press down firmly on the edges to seal. To deep-fry the egg rolls, slide the rolls into the hot oil and deep-fry until they are golden brown and crispy (about 4 minutes). Remove the rolls with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Don’t stack the rolls before or after cooking.