Classic Homemade Mac ‘n Cheese
This Classic Homemade Mac ‘n Cheese recipe is a sure choice for a satisfyingly delicious comfort food.
- 1⁄2 pound grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons of butter, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 pound grated cheddar or Jack cheese
- 4 teaspoons onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Preheat oven to 400°F. In saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and sauté onion.
- Whisk in flour, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in milk over low heat. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine cheese mixture with macaroni. Blend well and pour into 2½ quart greased casserole.
- Toss panko crumbs in 4 teaspoons butter until lightly browned. Sprinkle on top of the macaroni.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove, let cool and serve.