Classic Italian Risotto
Risotto should be very creamy on the outside, with just a bit of toothsome resistance on the inside of each grain of rice.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped scallion
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅛ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Bring the broth to a slow simmer over low heat in a saucepan and keep it hot.
- Place the butter and oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, melt butter, and add the scallion and celery. Sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with butter and oil. Stir in salt.
- In ¼-cup increments, start adding hot broth. Stir until the broth has been absorbed into the rice. Add another ¼ cup, stirring until all of the broth is absorbed. Repeat this process until all of the hot broth is gone. It must be stirred constantly and takes about 35 minutes.
- When all of the broth is gone, add the cheese and pepper. Serve immediately.