Classic Key Lime Pie
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 2 cups whipped cream, divided
- 1 baked pastry shell (9")
- In a saucepan, combine the gelatin, ½ cup sugar, and salt. Mix well. In a bowl, beat together the egg yolks, lime juice, and water until well blended and stir into the gelatin mixture. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, just until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in zest. Chill, stirring occasionally, until the mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold the gelatin mixture into the egg whites. Fold in half of the whipped cream. Pile into the pastry shell and chill at least 4 hours. Before servings, spread with the remaining whipped cream over the lime filling.