Classic Macaroni and Cheese
There are virtually hundreds of ways to make this macaroni and cheese your own. Using two different cheeses makes the flavor undeniable, but you can stick to one if you prefer.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ stalk celery, minced
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 3 Tbsp. fat-free milk
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup low-fat grated Swiss cheese
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 16 oz. cooked small pasta
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté celery and onion 5 minutes. Mix in the milk and flour, stirring until smooth.
- Mix in the cheese, stirring constantly until thick. Remove immediately from heat.
- Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture over pasta. Toss and serve.