Classic Monte Cristo Sandwich
The Monte Cristo Sandwich is believed to be an American version of the French Croque Monsieur sandwich. Make a ham and Swiss cheese sandwich, dip it in egg and milk, and grill it on the stove until golden.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 1⁄4 lb. thinly sliced deli ham
- 1⁄4 lb. thinly sliced deli Swiss cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- In a small bowl, combine mustard and mayonnaise. In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- On a work surface, lay out 4 slices of bread. Lather with mayo-mustard mixture. Add slices of ham and cheese and remaining slices of bread.
- On a griddle over medium heat, melt butter. Working in batches, carefully dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture and place on skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown and cheese begins to melt, about 8 minutes.